Laboratory Test DirectoryShare
Collect: One aerobic and one anaerobic blood culture bottle
1. Skin Preparation:
- Starting at the middle of the site, swab concentrically with 10% povidone-iodine solution for 1 minute; Alternative 1 to 2% tincture of iodine for 30s /chlorhexidine
- Allow the site to air dry.
2. Prepare bottles:
- Remove flip-off caps from culture vials
- Wipe tops of vials with single alcohol swab and allow to dry.
3. Perform venipuncture.
4. Draw min. vol.:for PEDIATRIC: 1.0-5.0 ml blood ( add at least 0.5 to 3.0 ml per blood culture bottle)
for ADULT: 14.0-20.0 ml blood ( add at least 7.0 ml to each blood culture bottle);
5. Mix thoroughly.
6. Label with patient identification and blood collection site
7. After collection, cleanse the side with 70% alcohol to remove remaining iodine, which can cause irritation in some patients.
Storage/Transport Temperature: Room Temperature
Stability: Ambient 24 hours
NOTE: * This test is approved for all states. *
Accu Reference Medical Laboratory